Sources for info
a photo to our site
up for our monthly e-mail update
Grant Funding for
2014-2015 Watershed Education Projects
2014 WREN Grant Application Round is Now Open
Proposal must be postmarked by Friday, March 21, 2014
See what WREN grantees are doing with their money.
The Water Resources Education Network (WREN) is a project of the Citizen Education Fund of the League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania (LWVPA-CEF). WREN is a nonpartisan informal collaboration of organizations and public officials working for the protection and management of Pennsylvania’s water resources, both surface and ground water, through grass-roots education and informed policy-making. WREN provides training and grants for local coalition building to promote community awareness and development of public policies necessary to protect Pennsylvania water resources. The WREN Program has two clean water initiatives: Watershed Protection Education to prevent nonpoint source pollution, and Source Water Protection Promotion to raise awareness about the importance of protecting public drinking water sources. Since 1992 through the WREN Project, LWVPA-CEF has awarded over $2 million in funding to over 350 community partnerships working to safeguard Pennsylvania water resources.
Through its Water Resources Education Network (WREN) Project, the League
of Women Voters of Pennsylvania Citizen Education Fund (LWVPA-CEF)
will accept proposals for watershed education projects sponsored
by community based partnerships that educate, build awareness, and
promote water-sustaining public policies and/or behavior change. Projects
should be designed to encourage individual or collective action that
will protect and improve local water resources. Funding will be awarded for:
Watershed Protection projects which educate about how to protect, improve or remediate the watershed from the impacts of nonpoint source (NPS) pollution. NPS pollution includes drainage or runoff from: abandoned coal mines, oil or gas wells; inadequate erosion control practices during development; improper agricultural and timber harvesting practices; failing on-lot septic systems or other waste disposal sites; and land use changes that affect runoff.
LWVPA-CEF invites partnerships of local or regional organizations, such as watershed associations, civic groups, community water systems, governmental entities (including municipal authorities), and other public interest organizations to carefully review the 2014 WREN Grant Application Guidelines and Application Form and to submit an application to LWVPA CEF. Applications must be postmarked by Friday, March 21, 2014. In addition to mailing, you must email the proposal by 4:00pm 3/21/14 to WREN Project Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 WREN Watershed Education Grants
- Selected Watershed Education projects will be funded up to a maximum of $5,000
- In-kind donation or cash match of 15% is required
- Funds must be managed by an organization with a 501(c)3 status, a government entity or a Conservation District
- Source of funding is PA DEP Nonpoint Source Management Program through Section 319 of the federal Clean Water Act, administered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the PADEP Growing Green Program through the Environmental Stewardship and Watershed Protection Act of 1999.
- All applications must be submitted by a community partnership of two or more organizations.
- Project partnership must include at least one municipality as an active partner in the project (if the applicant is not a municipality.)
- Priority will be given to proposals that include a Community Water System within the partnership if a system is in the project area.
- WREN welcomes proposals from: municipalities, and other government entities including municipal authorities, planning commissions, environmental advisory councils, and/or Councils of Government, watershed associations, civic groups, conservation organizations that promote local watershed efforts, community water systems, educational entities such as schools, colleges or universities, or other governmental or non-governmental organizations.
- Funded project activities must begin July 1, 2014, and be completed by June 30, 2015.
- All selected applicants will submit an Interim progress report (11/15/14) and a Final report (6/15/15) with documentation of expenses incurred.
- Project leader(s) will participate at the two-day Orientation Meeting June 10-11, 2014, in Carlisle, PA, and at the two day Wrap Up/Lessons Learned Meeting mid June 2015 to share Lessons Learned at minimal cost to applicant.
- Nine sets Postmarked Friday, March 21, 2014, and send email copy without attachments by 4 pm. 3/21/14 to WREN Project Director: email@example.com
- Selected recipients will be notified by May 16, 2014.
How to apply:
- Complete the WREN Watershed Education Grant Application, Budget Sheet, and Partner Forms.
- Mail nine (9) complete hard copy sets to:
League of Women Voters of PA Citizen Education Fund
Attention: WREN Watershed Ed Grant Application
226 Forster Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102-3220
- In addition to mailing sets, email the proposal Cover sheet, Budget Sheet and narrative (max 4 pgs) to WREN Project Director Julie Kollar at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 pm 3/21/14. Do not email attachments.
Please review grant guidance before contacting WREN; most questions are addressed within the Grant Guidance document. If you have questions, please email WREN Project Director Julie Kollar at email@example.com. . For downloading problems, please email WREN at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the 2014 WREN Watershed Education Grant Guidance and Application Forms HERE!
(Download the Grant Application Instructions as well as the Application Forms.)
UPDATE TO 2014 GUIDANCE FOR WREN GRANT APPLICATION FORMS: Due to inadvertent error on the Application Forms, the fields labeled "Project Title" and "Project Name"appear. Both fields appear on the Budget Form. Applicants should enter the same information into both fields, as Project TItle and Project Name are interchangeable. This will be corrected for the future, and WREN regrets any confusion.
Download 2014 Grant Guidance document for full details, instructions and eligibility guidelines.
2014 WREN Grant Application Instructions (PDF Format)
2014 Application Forms (Word docx)
2014 Application Forms (PDF)
Applications must be postmarked by Friday, March 21, 2014.